*From Meathead Hippie
In this episode, Emily Schromm of Meathead Hippie, interviews little ol’ me.
I sound like Dr. Frankenstein as I report how I was initially intrigued in the human body when I learned the ins and outs of fascia by studying cadavers!
We move to the topic of Metabolic flexibility and she quotes a good summary sentence here . . “Metabolic flexibility is a spectrum that evaluates how well the body can use carbs and fat for energy, if needed.” I provided some examples of how to use the concepts of metabolic flexibility by fat burning and intermittent fasting to help decrease insulin levels, which in turn changes body composition!
- 8:40 Mike’s Personal Background (heart failure and heart surgery at 4 then fast foward to interested in anatomy and worked on cadavers as an undergrad student
- 14:30 What Exactly Is Fascia? Bands or sheets of connective tissue in the body “Fascia goes everywhere in the body and helps reinforce a lot of the other structures.”
- 23:00 Breathing Mechanics of the Body A scale for your brain to utilize: “How long can we go without something?” Breathing interventions could make breathing more efficient.
- 31:20 Why Better Posture Doesn’t Stick “You have to change the base of which the systems operate.” Unconscious vs. conscious decisions and visceral mobility
- 42:00 Heart Rate Variability Measuring heart rate and heart rate variability
- 50:00 Metabolic Flexibility = a test to see how well the body can use fat or carbs as energy when needed
- 58:00 A Cyclical Ketogenic Diet The body is not able to adapt to carbs as well because it is attuned to using mostly fat as fuel
- 63:00 Intermittent Fasting for Low Insulin “Muscle glycogen is really only depleted by muscular work.”
- 69:00 Regulating Carbohydrates Examining sleeping habits, stress and exercise while regulating carbs Tips on how to better utilize fat as fuel
- 76:15 Spirit Animal